24 January 2013 - 16:00
Video: Stig versus stunt plane in Sydney
Preparations for Sydney's TopGear Festival have kicked off - and rather spectacularly, with organisers racing a stunt plane against the Stig, at 150km/h, along the front straight of Sydney Motorsport Park this morning.
Driving a $750,000 Lexus LFA supercar, and leading a battle pack comprising race cars, drift cars and motorbikes, Stig faced off against stunt pilot Matt Hall, who flew his racing plane, sideways, just metres above Sydney Motorsport Park's front straight (watch the video below, it's quite nuts).
Stig was on hand to help launch TopGear Festival Sydney, where he (or it) will join fellow TopGear stars Jeremy Clarkson and James May in a two-day TopGear and motoring feast, on the weekend of March 9-10.
So far, organisers have confirmed:
- Clarkson, May and the Stig (of course). And Shane Jacobson, of TopGear Australia fame.
- The Stig cutting laps around the track in the world's rarest, most priceless supercars.
- Clarkson racing a currently unnamed, but "world renowned athlete" over a 100m sprint. (Clarkson will be driving a car, not running.)
- A man jumping over a Lamborghini as it drives underneath him. At 100km/h.
- F1 vs V8 Supercar: Mark Webber racing a Red Bull Formula One car against Jamie Whincup, who will be in a V8 Supercar.
- Car v plane: A race between top gun stunt pilot Matt Hall and Jamie Whincup's V8 Supercar. Around Sydney Motorsport Park.
- F1 vs V8 Supercar (old school): watch a 1980 Williams Formula One car take on a 1977 Ford Falcon Australian touring car. And not just any F1 car, but the 1980 world championship-winning car, and driven by the champion himself, Alan Jones. The Falcon, Allan Moffat's race car in the 1970s, will be driven by Australian touring car legend Colin Bond.
- More Stars in the Reasonably Priced Car: Australian Socceroo Brett Emerton, Olympic Gold medallist Steve Hooker, cricketing guru Michael Slater, Channel 9 reporters Roz Kelly and Emma Freedman and the Triple M Grill Team's Matty Johns, Gus Worland and Mark Geyer.
- Motorcycles doing stunts.
- Drifting sessions.
- Touring Car Masters. Think old Mustangs, Camaros and other 1970s muscle cars racing on the track.
More announcements are still to come, according to organisers, and we'll be first to break the news here at TopGear.com.
Tickets to TopGear Festival Sydney are available at www.ticketek.com.au/topgear.
Now watch Stig take on the stunt plane. Very cool: