This policy applies to all publications published by Park Publishing. It also covers websites relating to Park Publishing publications hosted by third parties, including but not limited to ninemsn.
Park Publishing is bound by and supports the National Privacy Principles contained in the Commonwealth Privacy Act. As a media organisation Park Publishing publicly commits to the standards set out below under the heading "Media Organisation Privacy Standards" in relation to it acts and practices carried out in the course of journalism.
What kind of personal information do we collect and how?
Park Publishing collects a range of personal information from members of the public.
Park Publishing collects most personal information directly from you (our customers) in various ways, including: magazine subscriptions; orders for products by telephone, post, the internet or e-mail; readers' offers; competition entry forms; or feedback, research or request forms.
Sometimes Park Publishing may be provided with personal information about an individual from a third party, for example from third parties who give a gift subscription.
In general, the type of personal information Park Publishing collects and holds could include (but is not limited to) name, address, contact details, age and gender
How we collect and use information
Park Publishing uses personal information for the primary purpose for which it is collected and for such other secondary purposes that are related to the primary purpose.
From time to time, we may use your personal details for the following purposes:
- to meet product orders or requests for services or information; to process payments; and to keep our records up-to-date;
- to tell you by telephone, post or e-mail about special offers and current or new products that you may be interested in;
- to enable other people or businesses to carry out our work on our behalf;
- where you have given us your permission, to pass your information to carefully selected organisations to allow them to tell you about their special offers or products and services that may be of interest to you;
- to manage our competitions and contact the winners;
- to communicate with readers of its publications;
We may group together statistical information to understand more about our customers in order to improve our range of products and services and help manage our relationships with advertisers. When this is done, we only provide anonymous information and do not disclose personal details about any individuals.
To fulfil some of the processes stated above we may have to pass your information to ACP Magazines Ltd and BBC Worldwide Australia Publishing Pty Ltd and other entities associated with those companies. They will, of course, treat your information with the same respect that we do.
In many cases where Park Publishing asks you to provide us with information about yourself, if you do not provide Park Publishing with that information we will not be able to provide you with the relevant product or service.
To Whom might Park Publishing disclose Personal Information?
Park Publishing may disclose personal information it collects about you to a related company. The company to which information is disclosed is bound to use it for the same purpose as the information was collected, unless otherwise permitted by law.
Park Publishing may also provide your information to:
- newsagents for the purpose of fulfilling subscriptions to Park Publishing publications;
- Organisations who are sponsoring or otherwise involved with or participating in a promotion, competition or survey;
- other companies or individuals Park Publishing engages to perform functions on behalf of Park Publishing, such as mailing a subscription, processing credit card information, mailing of information or prizes, data analysis, telemarketing, research, and advertising;
- anyone you authorise Park Publishing to disclose information to.
Park Publishing may decide to buy or sell assets which form part of or relate to its business. In any such transaction, personal information will usually be one of the transferred assets and will be disclosed to the purchaser.
Otherwise, we only disclose personal information if required to do so by law or if the disclosure is permitted under the Privacy Act.
How we apply our policy
In order to put our policy into practice, we follow seven guidelines:
- We will ensure our systems are secure to protect your personal information from misuse;
- We will respect your privacy in the way that we contact you, whether by post, telephone, e-mail or text message;
- We will not hold your personal information for longer than is necessary;
- We will not sell, trade or rent your personal information to other people or businesses unless we have your consent. With your consent, we will only share your information with carefully chosen, reputable and trustworthy third parties.
- We will comply promptly with any instructions from you to update your information or requests from you to see the information that we hold on you;
- We will comply with lawful requests to disclose personal information to certain authorities (e.g. the police);
- We may monitor and record any telephone calls to ensure we follow your instructions correctly and to improve our service.
If you are under 18, you must have your parent or guardian's permission before you provide personal information to us. We do not wish to collect any personal information without this permission.
We do not wish to collect any personal information from children under 13. Where we find that a person is under 13, then we will immediately tell them not to provide any personal information to us.
Information gathered on our websites
We may gather personal information from our own websites for use under this policy.
Where advertisements appear on this website, we use a third-party advertising company to serve those ads. That company may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visit to this website in order to provide advertisements about goods and services that may be of interest to you. In the course of serving advertisements to this site, our third-party advertiser may place or recognize a unique "cookie" on your browser. In the absence of advertisements on this website your computer may still be issued with a cookie.
A cookie is a text file which identifies your computer to our server. Cookies do not in themselves identify the individual user, just the computer used. We will not collect and store personal information using the cookie, although we may use a cookie to monitor your visit and ensure that you are presented with appropriate information. If you wish, you can prevent acceptance of cookies by your internet browser, although this will impair your use of our site. Further information on cookies is available online at: www.aboutcookies.org.
Links to other websites
How Do we treat Sensitive Information
In referring to 'sensitive information' Park Publishing means information relating to a person's racial or ethnic origin, membership of political bodies, religions, trade unions or other professional or trade association, sexual preferences, criminal record and health information.
If you decide to provide Park Publishing with sensitive information, it is Park Publishing's policy that this information will be used and disclosed only for the purpose for which it was provided or a directly related secondary purpose, unless you agree otherwise or use or disclosure of this information is allowed by law.
Accuracy and access to your personal information
Under the Commonwealth Privacy Act you have the right to obtain access to any personal information which Park Publishing holds about you and to advise Park Publishing of any perceived inaccuracy. There are some exceptions to this right set out in the Act.
You can always change the personal information that we hold and it is free to do so. If you wish to change any details then please do so in writing at the address below; or if you are an internet customer through your online account.
You can request a copy of the personal information that we may hold by writing to us at the address below. We will require you to verify your identity and specify what information you require. Park Publishing may charge a fee to cover the cost of verifying your application and locating, retrieving, reviewing and copying any material requested. If the information sought is extensive, Park Publishing will advise of the likely cost in advance and can help you refine your request if required.
Changes to this statement
We may change this policy to keep up to date with changes in legislation and best practice.
For further information about Privacy issues, see the Australian Federal Privacy Commissioners website at www.privacy.gov.au