The Red Bull cars head the starting line up at the United States GP. Mark Webber had stood a tenth of a second clear of the four-time world champion after the pair’s first runs in Q3 on the circuit in Austin, and improved that time on his second set of new tyres shortly after. Vettel rolled up his sleeves and went fastest of all on his final lap, lapping a tenth of a second quicker of Mark.
The Red Bulls were the only cars to have breached the 1m37s mark, leaving little more than a half of a second distance between themselves of the Lotus of Roman Grosjean, who slots his Lotus third on the starting grid. The top three are followed by Nico Hulkenberg's Sauber, a now quick looking Lewis Hamilton in his Mercedes, Fernando Alonso's Ferrari and Sergio Perez's McLaren.
Finland’s Heikki Kovalainen – standing in for his compatriot Kimi Raikkonen – in the Lotus qualified eighth, folllowed by Valtteri Bottas in his Williams and Esteban Gutierrez in the second Sauber.
Bottas was in the spotlight in the early part of qualifying, going fastest in Q1 and emerging fourth in Q2. In Q3 however, a mistake on his crucial lap meant he slipped down the starting order to 9th.
Fernando Alonso couldn’t match up to the pace of the Red Bulls in his Ferrari and will start the race from sixth spot.
Sergio Perez was the only driver from the Mclaren team to make the Q3 cut and will start the race from seventh on the grid. Jenson Button missed the Q3 cut by less than two tenths of a second with his final lap in Q2 and qualified 13th. He will drop to 16th on the grid thanks to a three-place grid penalty for overtaking under the red flag in qualifying.
Adrian Sutil had yet another poor qualifying session as was restricted to the sidelines for most of the qualifying session after failing to make the Q2 cut-off.
Position Driver Team Time
1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 1m36.338s
2. Mark Webber Red Bull 1m36.441s
3. Romain Grosjean Lotus 1m37.155s
4. Nico Hulkenberg Sauber 1m37.296s
5. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1m37.345s
6. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m37.376s
7. Sergio Perez McLaren 1m37.452s
8. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus 1m37.715s
9. Valtteri Bottas Williams 1m37.836s
10. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber 1m38.034s
11. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso 1m38.131s
12. Paul di Resta Force India 1m38.139s
13. Jenson Button McLaren 1m38.217s
14. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m38.364s
15. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m38.592s
16. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso 1m38.696s
17. Adrian Sutil Force India 1m39.250s
18. Pastor Maldonado Williams 1m39.351s
19. Giedo Van der Garde Caterham 1m40.491s
20. Jules Bianchi Marussia 1m40.528s
21. Charles Pic Caterham 1m40.596s
22. Max Chilton Marussia 1m41.401s