TopGear Magazine Awards 2012
The year’s first car and bike awards could not have been grander. It was a night of winners...
The year’s first car and bike awards night came alive with awards handover ceremony – the BBC TopGear Magazine Awards 2012 – at the unique Kingdom of Dreams, Gurgaon. The exotic evening brought together the best cars and bikes to have launched in India in the last one year as TopGear handed over the coveted ‘Stig’ trophies to the winning manufacturers.
A never-before-seen display of cars ranging from a Lamborghini Aventador (TopGear’s Hypercar of the Year) and Ferrari FF (Luxury Car of the Year) to the Renault Duster (Compact SUV of the Year), Hyundai Elantra (Saloon Car of the Year) and the Mini Cooper S (TG Car of the Year) among others, under one roof, made for a stunning welcome to guests arriving at the red carpet.
Our winning cars getting lined up for the red carpet
Commenting on the BBC TopGear Magazine India Awards, Tarun Rai CEO Worldwide Media said “BBC TopGear is the biggest auto magazine brand in the world with editions in 31 countries. And in each of these 31 countries TopGear is known for its authoritative take on cars and motorcycles. It is therefore, appropriate that the first auto awards of 2012 are also the most definitive. 26 best cars and bikes of the year, in various categories, will walk away with the TopGear trophy – The Stig. The Stig trophy itself symbolizes TopGear’s passion for cars and bikes. The night of Dec 10 was a big night of celebration as we applauded the very best of the auto industry”
WWM CEO, Tarun Rai with Michael Perschke, Head of Audi India
Philipp von Sahr, Head of BMW Group India said: “We are proud to be taking home two ‘Stig’ trophies today from BBC TopGear. It’s really special that Mini, which came to India very recently is already winning Car of the Year in its first year in India.”
Philipp von Sahr, Head of BMW during his acceptance speech for the Car of the Year award
Michael Perschke, Head of Audi India was also ecstatic. “BBC TopGear is one of favourite magazines. The new TT and Q3, winners this year in TopGear Magazine Awards further shows our intent is bringing new and exciting products to India.”
While the KTM Duke 200 took home the Bike of the Year title, its stable mate, the Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS also was announced as the winner of the Reader’s Choice Bike of the Year, polling for which happened online on www.topgear.com. The Duster was adjudged Reader’s Choice Car of the Year.
Among the guest presenters in the evening was actor Abhishek Bachchan, himself a big automotive fan. “TopGear is one my favourite magazines so I had to come for this one. I especially liked the categories they have created which is very refreshing from what you normally see,” he said.
Abhishek Bachchan at the TopGear Magazine Awards
All award winners were selected by a jury comprising of the TopGear editorial team’s automotive experts. Typically, all new Indian launches between November last year and October this year were considered for the awards. The decisions were based on rigorous all-year testing that judged the cars on driving pleasure, performance, reliability, capability and price among other factors important while making a purchase.
In case you missed out on the Award winners list in the December issue of TopGear India Magazine and our web gallery, here's a quick list below -
1. Most Beautiful Car of the Year – Mercedes-Benz CLS
2. Boy’s Toy of the Year – Trikke
3. Driver’s Car of the Year – BMW 328i
4. Two-Wheeler Design of the Year – Vespa 125
5. Engine of the Year – Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI
6. Exotic Bike of the Year – Ducati Diavel
7. Family Car of the Year – Maruti Suzuki Ertiga
8. Automotive Game of the Year – Need For Speed: Most Wanted
9. Hypercar of the Year– Lamborghini Aventador
10. Most Improved Car of the Year – Audi TT
11. Interior of the Year – Range Rover Evoque
12. Luxury Car of the Year – Ferrari FF
13. Luxury SUV of the Year – Mercedes-Benz M-Class
14. Man of the Year – Sarath Kumar S (Two-wheel racer)
15. Manufacturer of the Year – Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India
16. Off-roader of the Year– Mitsubishi Pajero Sport
17. Reader’s Choice Bike of the Year – Bajaj Pulsar 200NS
18. Reader’s Choice Car of the Year - Renault Duster
19. Saloon Car of the Year – Hyundai Elantra
20. Scooter of the Year – Yamaha Ray
21. Sportscar of the Year – Porsche Boxster S
22. Compact SUV of the Year – Renault Duster
23. Urban Car of the Year – Audi Q3
24. Value Car of the Year – Jaguar XKR
25. Bike of the Year – KTM Duke 200
26. Car of the Year – Mini Cooper S
Stay tuned for pics of the Awards red carpet, trophy acceptance and the party galleries and videos.
Tags: topgear awards
The Porsche 911 Carrera in a four-wheel-drive may seem like sacrilege to purists. We get behind the wheel and see for ourselves if the Porsche has managed to maintain the 911 DNA in its 4S avatar...Watch full Video