Finally, it looks like Fisker Automotive's luck has changed. China's Wanxiang Group has agreed to pay $149.2m (£89.1m) to buy the remaining assets of the luxury hybrid builder.
TopGear.com17 February 2014
China buys Fisker Automotive
Plug-in hybrid builder’s future secured following £89m deal with Chinese parts group
China's biggest car parts group has said it'll stump up nearly six times the amount required to bail out Fisker when it filed for bankruptcy in November 2013.
According to Marc Beilinson, Fisker's chief restructuring officer, the "highly spirited" 19-round auction increased the value of the firm by more than £53m compared to the opening bid.
Wanxiang, which also owns the successor to the firm that supplied the Karma's batteries, battled with Hybrid Tech Holdings for $126.2m (£75m) in cash and $8m (£4.7m) in assumed liabilities. The only remaining condition is that U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Kevin Gross approves the sale on February 18 in Wilmington, Delaware.
Fisker's string of bad luck began when development over-ran on the Karma. Then its battery supplier went bust after several units failed, sometimes causing fires, and finally, it lost 338 finished cars in a dock hit by superstorm Sandy - and the insurer wouldn't pay.
The company, which was co-founded by Aston Martin V8 Vantage and BMW Z8 designer, Henrik Fisker, and business partner Bernhard Koehler, cost investors - which included Leonardo DiCaprio - more than £400,000 for every one of the 2200 Karmas sold.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- Peugeot's 308 R Hybrid is a 500bhp hot hatch
- Petrol-electric, four-wheel drive Pug is technically a concept, but sounds mighty production-ready...