If you've always fancied a Ford Kuga but find it that bit too small, good news: Ford is bringing another new SUV to Europe.
TopGear.com21 November 2013
Ford readies new ‘Edge’ SUV
Ford’s X-Trail rival is coming to the UK. It can be parked by remote control. Be afraid
It's called the Edge, and is previewed by this concept, shown at the Los Angeles show this week. Yes, the US market has had the Edge since 2006, but this is an all-new car, designed with European tastes. Which is to say, 'tastes'.
So there's a thoroughly European (for which read ‘not cheap, plasticky and horrible) cabin, and the promise of thoroughly European oily bits: though there's no word on what powers the Edge concept, we're told the production version will get - shock horror - diesel engines as well as petrol, and the option of a manual gearbox. Ford promises ‘confident and engaging' handling, which we always prefer to ‘cowardly and aloof' handling.
The concept packs plenty of shiny futuretech, including Ford's ‘Fully Assisted Parking Aid', which allows drivers to slot their Edge into a parking spot BY REMOTE CONTROL. Oh yes. Get out the car, push a few buttons and the Edge will magically wiggle itself into a tight spot. There is no way this can end well.
The Edge will join the S-Max MPV in the lineup, giving Ford a small-to-big range of SUVs: the Fiesta-based Ecosport sitting below Kuga, with S-Max and Edge above. All these SUVs, of course, will be available in hot 'ST' and 'RS' spec*.
*Quite possibly not true
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?