If you've always fancied a Ford Kuga but find it that bit too small, good news: Ford is bringing another new SUV to Europe.
TopGear.com21 November 2013
Ford readies new ‘Edge’ SUV
Ford’s X-Trail rival is coming to the UK. It can be parked by remote control. Be afraid
It's called the Edge, and is previewed by this concept, shown at the Los Angeles show this week. Yes, the US market has had the Edge since 2006, but this is an all-new car, designed with European tastes. Which is to say, 'tastes'.
So there's a thoroughly European (for which read ‘not cheap, plasticky and horrible) cabin, and the promise of thoroughly European oily bits: though there's no word on what powers the Edge concept, we're told the production version will get - shock horror - diesel engines as well as petrol, and the option of a manual gearbox. Ford promises ‘confident and engaging' handling, which we always prefer to ‘cowardly and aloof' handling.
The concept packs plenty of shiny futuretech, including Ford's ‘Fully Assisted Parking Aid', which allows drivers to slot their Edge into a parking spot BY REMOTE CONTROL. Oh yes. Get out the car, push a few buttons and the Edge will magically wiggle itself into a tight spot. There is no way this can end well.
The Edge will join the S-Max MPV in the lineup, giving Ford a small-to-big range of SUVs: the Fiesta-based Ecosport sitting below Kuga, with S-Max and Edge above. All these SUVs, of course, will be available in hot 'ST' and 'RS' spec*.
*Quite possibly not true
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- McLaren 570S: it’s here at last
- The teasing is over. Official details of McLaren's new 562bhp, 204mph, £145,000 Sports Series are here
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- This is the new Porsche Spyder
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at