You've seen our prototype drive. You've seen an Italian make it go fast. You've seen the teaser sketch. Now there's this - the official Honda Civic Type R concept, released today at the Geneva motor show.
Matthew Jones03 March 2014
Honda Civic Type R revealed
Hot hatch concept has more than 280bhp, and will get round the 'Ring in less than eight mins…
But unlike some of the more far-fetched concepts you'll see at this year's Swiss exhibition, Honda says this design study ‘strongly hints' at the production version, which it's promising in 2015.
You want specs? You can't handle the specs. The new Type R will be the first model in Europe to feature the company's brand-spanking VTEC turbo engine. It'll come as a 2.0-litre, direct injection, four-cylinder unit that'll make at least 280bhp and be Euro 6 compliant. Blimey.
So, what about that Veneno-lite styling? Honda says it offers real performance benefits, which it's actually tested - the front and rear spoilers adds downforce, the vertical side wings and vents in the front bumper help to reduce drag and control airflow around the front tyres, and the front grilles have been enlarged for better cooling. The front and rear wings have also been pulled out to accommodate bigger wheels.
Then there's the company's bravest announcement yet. That the production version it previews will lap the Nordschleife faster than any front-wheel drive car in the history of EVER. Faster, even, than the Seat Leon Cupra's sub-eight-minute effort we announced yesterday.
We're looking forward to this one...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'