You've seen our prototype drive. You've seen an Italian make it go fast. You've seen the teaser sketch. Now there's this - the official Honda Civic Type R concept, released today at the Geneva motor show.
Matthew Jones03 March 2014
Honda Civic Type R revealed
Hot hatch concept has more than 280bhp, and will get round the 'Ring in less than eight mins…
But unlike some of the more far-fetched concepts you'll see at this year's Swiss exhibition, Honda says this design study ‘strongly hints' at the production version, which it's promising in 2015.
You want specs? You can't handle the specs. The new Type R will be the first model in Europe to feature the company's brand-spanking VTEC turbo engine. It'll come as a 2.0-litre, direct injection, four-cylinder unit that'll make at least 280bhp and be Euro 6 compliant. Blimey.
So, what about that Veneno-lite styling? Honda says it offers real performance benefits, which it's actually tested - the front and rear spoilers adds downforce, the vertical side wings and vents in the front bumper help to reduce drag and control airflow around the front tyres, and the front grilles have been enlarged for better cooling. The front and rear wings have also been pulled out to accommodate bigger wheels.
Then there's the company's bravest announcement yet. That the production version it previews will lap the Nordschleife faster than any front-wheel drive car in the history of EVER. Faster, even, than the Seat Leon Cupra's sub-eight-minute effort we announced yesterday.
We're looking forward to this one...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance