Remember the unnamed Kia concept we saw a teaser pic of few weeks ago? It has landed, and Niro be thy name.
Matthew Jones 29 August 2013
Kia reveals Niro concept
Nissan Juke-rivalling Kia lands ahead of Frankfurt. Looks… busy
But don't panic, hamsters: this isn't a replacement for the Soul. In fact, Kia will show the second generation of that car at the Frankfurt show next month.
The Niro, meanwhile, is a proper pie-in-the-sky show concept, a taster put together to gauge public reaction to a heavily styled mini-SUV with a Kia badge on the bonnet.
And holy moly, there's a lot of styling going on. The Niro gets a world-first single-piece stainless steel roof and alarming ‘dihedral' doors. Engine-wise, there's the same powertrain we saw on the, er, interestingly named Provo concept - a 1.6-litre turbo petrol driving the front wheels and an electric setup for the rears. Those blingy wheels are 20-inchers, while the 'ice cube' front lights, says Kia, are an evolution of the clusters from the Pro_cee'd GT hot hatch.
So what do you reckon? Does Reasonably Priced Kia have the kudos to turn this into a production thing?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one
- Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
- The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there
- Mercedes reveals its GLE posh-roader
- Bye bye ML, hello GLE: Merc’s new SUV gets hybrid and Cayenne-crushing 577bhp AMG versions