Remember the unnamed Kia concept we saw a teaser pic of few weeks ago? It has landed, and Niro be thy name.
Matthew Jones 29 August 2013
Kia reveals Niro concept
Nissan Juke-rivalling Kia lands ahead of Frankfurt. Looks… busy
But don't panic, hamsters: this isn't a replacement for the Soul. In fact, Kia will show the second generation of that car at the Frankfurt show next month.
The Niro, meanwhile, is a proper pie-in-the-sky show concept, a taster put together to gauge public reaction to a heavily styled mini-SUV with a Kia badge on the bonnet.
And holy moly, there's a lot of styling going on. The Niro gets a world-first single-piece stainless steel roof and alarming ‘dihedral' doors. Engine-wise, there's the same powertrain we saw on the, er, interestingly named Provo concept - a 1.6-litre turbo petrol driving the front wheels and an electric setup for the rears. Those blingy wheels are 20-inchers, while the 'ice cube' front lights, says Kia, are an evolution of the clusters from the Pro_cee'd GT hot hatch.
So what do you reckon? Does Reasonably Priced Kia have the kudos to turn this into a production thing?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Top Gear’s Top Ten Lairy Pick-Ups
- From BMW’s V8-engined M3 truck to the Dodge Ram SRT-10, we round up Planet Earth's maddest trucks
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- TG's big road test: Volvo XC90
- Schoolrun fashion has never looked so smart. The new XC90 is here, and it's good
- Rise of the crossovers: it's Merc's GLC Coupe concept
- MB unveils preview of upcoming BMW X4 rival in Shanghai. Will the onslaught of coupe-SUVs ever end?
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts