Remember the unnamed Kia concept we saw a teaser pic of few weeks ago? It has landed, and Niro be thy name.
Matthew Jones 29 August 2013
Kia reveals Niro concept
Nissan Juke-rivalling Kia lands ahead of Frankfurt. Looks… busy
But don't panic, hamsters: this isn't a replacement for the Soul. In fact, Kia will show the second generation of that car at the Frankfurt show next month.
The Niro, meanwhile, is a proper pie-in-the-sky show concept, a taster put together to gauge public reaction to a heavily styled mini-SUV with a Kia badge on the bonnet.
And holy moly, there's a lot of styling going on. The Niro gets a world-first single-piece stainless steel roof and alarming ‘dihedral' doors. Engine-wise, there's the same powertrain we saw on the, er, interestingly named Provo concept - a 1.6-litre turbo petrol driving the front wheels and an electric setup for the rears. Those blingy wheels are 20-inchers, while the 'ice cube' front lights, says Kia, are an evolution of the clusters from the Pro_cee'd GT hot hatch.
So what do you reckon? Does Reasonably Priced Kia have the kudos to turn this into a production thing?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance