Remember the unnamed Kia concept we saw a teaser pic of few weeks ago? It has landed, and Niro be thy name.
Matthew Jones 29 August 2013
Kia reveals Niro concept
Nissan Juke-rivalling Kia lands ahead of Frankfurt. Looks… busy
But don't panic, hamsters: this isn't a replacement for the Soul. In fact, Kia will show the second generation of that car at the Frankfurt show next month.
The Niro, meanwhile, is a proper pie-in-the-sky show concept, a taster put together to gauge public reaction to a heavily styled mini-SUV with a Kia badge on the bonnet.
And holy moly, there's a lot of styling going on. The Niro gets a world-first single-piece stainless steel roof and alarming ‘dihedral' doors. Engine-wise, there's the same powertrain we saw on the, er, interestingly named Provo concept - a 1.6-litre turbo petrol driving the front wheels and an electric setup for the rears. Those blingy wheels are 20-inchers, while the 'ice cube' front lights, says Kia, are an evolution of the clusters from the Pro_cee'd GT hot hatch.
So what do you reckon? Does Reasonably Priced Kia have the kudos to turn this into a production thing?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'