We warned you to prepare yourselves, and now it has come to pass: the Merc SLS is dead.
Sam Philip15 November 2013
Mercedes SLS is officially dead
AMG kills off its V8 supercar with a big-winged 'Final Edition'. Will you miss it?
Mercedes has confirmed that it shall reveal a ‘Final Edition' SLS at the LA and Tokyo shows next week, marking the end of the line for its monstrous V8 supercar.
The Final Edition is described by Mercedes "an ultimate, particularly attractive variant of our super sports car", and looks like a poshed-up version of the stock SLS, not a Black Series-beating run-out special.
It gets the same 583bhp 6.3-litre V8 as the ‘standard' SLS GT, not the uprated 622bhp version found in the SLS Black.
But like the Black, the Final Edition gets a whacking great fixed rear wing, along with a black bonnet - which we're assuming is carbon fibre rather than a salvage yard respray job.
We know it'll be limited to a production run of 350 cars. But beyond that, Merc's staying schtum on details, though we're promised an interior upgraded over the standard SLS. We're hoping rocket launchers.
As we reported earlier, the SLS will be replaced by Merc's upcoming smaller sports car, codenamed ‘C190' and expected to rival the 911 when it arrives next year. The front-engined two-seater is expected to get a new 4.4-litre turbo V8 good for 500bhp.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- Peugeot's 308 R Hybrid is a 500bhp hot hatch
- Petrol-electric, four-wheel drive Pug is technically a concept, but sounds mighty production-ready...