Turns out that the Leaf wasn't such a bad idea after all, because Nissan can use its electric knowhow to add important things like more SPEED and POWER to the GT-R. This is the plan for the car's next generation, as confirmed yesterday by engineering, sales and marketing boss Andy Palmer.
Matthew Jones07 November 2013
Next Nissan GT-R will go electric
Following the P1, 918 and LaFerrari, the new GT-R will have a hybrid powertrain
"There's an inevitability that everything in the future will be electric. I expect to see some form of electrification on the next generation of car in some form, like hybridisation.
"Electric systems can fill in the gaps in the torque curve and offer genuine performance gains, as well as lowering emissions and improving fuel economy. It's win-win. Internal combustion is self-limiting, and the future is electric. That's sacrilege to some, but it's engineering fact."
Don't panic, though - Palmer's promised us that the GT-R won't turn into a denim-growing yoghurt weaver, and any electro injections will only serve to add more performance. Which, as we know from Jeremy's drive in the McLaren P1, can produce staggering results.
"Our performance benchmark is still our 'Ring time, and we expect to see it come down each year with every improvement we make to every model year. That includes any hybrid models in the future."
A semi-electric GT-R, then. Thoughts?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Meet SVO's £149,000 Range Rover
- Thought picnicking on a Rangey's tailgate couldn’t get any posher? Enter JLR Special Ops
- Meet the 2015 Le Mans contenders
- Porsche, Audi, Toyota and Nissan reveal their very different LMP1 racers. Here’s your tech crib-sheet
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Mercedes to build pickup truck
- Slinky concept sketch reveals upcoming Benz rival to the mighty Toyota Hilux. Truck yeah!
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one