We've all been there - looking at our pathetic, standard Nissan GT-R and bemoaning its slovenly 2.7-second 0-62mph time, and 196mph top speed, and 7:24.22 lap of the Nordschleife...
Matthew Jones19 November 2013
Nissan unveils NISMO-tuned GT-R
591bhp super-Skyline will do the ‘Ring in 7:08. Holy Shih Tzu
Now, finally, someone at Nismo's seen sense and done something about it. Power from the 3.8-litre V6 has been bumped from 542 to 591 horsepower, torque's up from 465 to 481 lb ft.
The power's been boosted by bolting on two turbochargers from the GT-R Nismo GT3 racer, fiddling around with the intake and exhaust system, adjusting the ignition timing, and fitting some super-sticky Dunlop tyres.
Not extreme enough? You'll be relieved to learn that there's an optional super-bonkers-nutter version called the Track Pack, which replaces several bits with carbon fibre (amounting to a 64.8kg weight reduction - roughly 82 per cent of a Richard Hammond), some chassis tweaks, manually adjustable Öhlins shocks and different springs with a lighter rate.
In this guise, and in the hands of ex FIA GT1 champion Michael Krumm, it's just lapped the Nürburgring in 7:08.69. That's faster than every road car in the world bar a Radical SR8 LM (6:48), SR8 (6:55), and Porsche 918 Spyder (6:57). And we're promised it'll come in at around £124,000. Which is a lot. But still more than £400,000 cheaper than that Porsche 918. It will be available in Japan in February 2014, coming to the US and Europe later that year.
So... are we looking at the fastest real-world car in the, er, real world?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'