In October last year, a Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 had the TopGear awesome-o-meter twitching at its upper reaches when it got round the Nurburgring in 7m 37.47. But this just blew it to pieces - it's the Z/28.R, a new endurance racer based on the road car.
Matthew Jones21 January 2014
Revealed: Chevrolet Camaro Z/28.R
This is how you turn a Nurburgring-smashing Z/28 into an endurance racer…
Set to debut at the Rolex 24-hour race in Daytona, Florida, the Z/28.R's been tuned by Stevenson Motorsports and CKS Autosport for the production-based Grand Sport class. And all those slats and wings aren't just styling fluff - the front splitter, rear spoiler, and belly pan all help generate downforce. But under the vented bonnet, there's the same LS7 7.0-litre V8 as you'll find in the production Z/28, as well as the roadgoing car's unique, helical-gear limited-slip rear differential astern.
In fact, beyond the aero there's barely any racing voodoo here at all. As Chevy's motorsport director, Mark Kent, says, "Apart from series-mandated equipment and the specialised suspension components needed for endurance racing, it's as close to a production-spec race car as you'll find".
Not that it'll be wanting for power. Remember, the 505bhp, 470lb ft roadgoing Z/28 beat the new 911 Carrera S, the old 430 Scud' and Lamborghini Murcielago LP-640 around the 'Ring last October...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there
- Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
- The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV
- Mercedes reveals its GLE posh-roader
- Bye bye ML, hello GLE: Merc’s new SUV gets hybrid and Cayenne-crushing 577bhp AMG versions