This is the new Peugeot 308 SW estate, and it has class-leading boot space: no less than 610 litres of the stuff. Which, coincidentally, is enough space for precisely 610 litre-cartons of orange juice.
Matthew Jones06 January 2014
Revealed: Peugeot 308 SW estate
This is Pug’s new family wagon. It has a massive boot and frankly that is all you need to know
That's a whole lot of trunk in this Skoda Octavia-baiting wagon, previewed today ahead of its official reveal at the Geneva motorshow. The wagon's boot is 140 litres larger than that of the hatch, and trumps the VW Golf estate's 605 litres and Ford Focus estate's 476 litres.
As per protocol, the 308's grown outside. Overall length has stretched from the 425cm of the five-door hatch to 458cm, though both models share the same wheelbase. Despite the growth, Peugeot says the new SW is 140kg lighter than its predecessor, too.
Engine options aren't yet confirmed, but expect the same as the hatchback's, and include the 85g/km BlueHDi diesel. And don't forget the 308 hatch will get a 270bhp, FWD 'R' version (one that shares its mechanicals with the RCZ R) this summer: will we see a double-hot-hatch-estate in the form of the 308 SW R?
We'll find out this summer. But, before then: this, or the ever-popular (but slightly more cramped) Ford Focus?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- Peugeot's 308 R Hybrid is a 500bhp hot hatch
- Petrol-electric, four-wheel drive Pug is technically a concept, but sounds mighty production-ready...