This is the new Peugeot 308 SW estate, and it has class-leading boot space: no less than 610 litres of the stuff. Which, coincidentally, is enough space for precisely 610 litre-cartons of orange juice.
Matthew Jones06 January 2014
Revealed: Peugeot 308 SW estate
This is Pug’s new family wagon. It has a massive boot and frankly that is all you need to know
That's a whole lot of trunk in this Skoda Octavia-baiting wagon, previewed today ahead of its official reveal at the Geneva motorshow. The wagon's boot is 140 litres larger than that of the hatch, and trumps the VW Golf estate's 605 litres and Ford Focus estate's 476 litres.
As per protocol, the 308's grown outside. Overall length has stretched from the 425cm of the five-door hatch to 458cm, though both models share the same wheelbase. Despite the growth, Peugeot says the new SW is 140kg lighter than its predecessor, too.
Engine options aren't yet confirmed, but expect the same as the hatchback's, and include the 85g/km BlueHDi diesel. And don't forget the 308 hatch will get a 270bhp, FWD 'R' version (one that shares its mechanicals with the RCZ R) this summer: will we see a double-hot-hatch-estate in the form of the 308 SW R?
We'll find out this summer. But, before then: this, or the ever-popular (but slightly more cramped) Ford Focus?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- McLaren 570S: it’s here at last
- The teasing is over. Official details of McLaren's new 562bhp, 204mph, £145,000 Sports Series are here
- Meet SVO's £149,000 Range Rover
- Thought picnicking on a Rangey's tailgate couldn’t get any posher? Enter JLR Special Ops
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Meet the 2015 Le Mans contenders
- Porsche, Audi, Toyota and Nissan reveal their very different LMP1 racers. Here’s your tech crib-sheet
- Why the McLaren 570S leaves me cold
- ‘Feels born of cynicism, not passion.’ Sam Philip puts the case against the new ‘baby’ McLaren