This is the Smart FourJoy Concept, and we think it's a pretty good indication of what you can expect to see when Merc's small-car wing finally pulls the wraps of its new ForFour in the not-too-distant future.
Tom Harrison05 September 2013
Revealed: Smart FourJoy concept
Is this what the Smart ForFour will look like…?
2004's original ForFour, which shared a platform with the Mitsubishi Colt, was silently, unceremoniously killed-off about 15 minutes after its launch. Because it was rubbish.
As part of another platform-sharing operation - this time with Renault - the ForFour will be built alongside the next Twingo at the carmaker's Slovenian factory. Given what we already know about the forthcoming Twingo, expect the ForFour to have space-saving rear-engine, rear-drive layout and a bevy of techy small-capacity engines (rather than the concept's electric motor).
It will also be significantly less concept-y. We'd bet good money on it having doors, for example, and whatever you do, don't count on those longboards in the boot making the options list.
We'll see the FourJoy in the flesh later this month at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'