Imagine for a second you're a car manufacturer. You've just finished an exciting car you want to show off to the world, and, luckily, it just so happens there are two massive motor shows happening this week; one in Los Angeles, the other in Tokyo. Perfect.
Rowan Horncastle21 November 2013
The facelifted CT 200h is here!
Far from LA or Tokyo, Lexus showcases a lightly-revised version of its hybrid hatch
So where did Lexus - a Japanese company based not far from Tokyo - decide to launch its revised CT 200h? The Guangzhou motor show, China.
Almost as if they're trying to hide the fact they haven't changed very much. Because they haven't. The changes to the CT aren't massive, just some tweakage to try and make the luxo-hatch a bit more luxo inside and out.
On the outside there's a marginally different grille not unlike that of the new RC coupe, a new set of wheels and amended bumper to incorporate new L-shaped reflectors. Tough day in the design office, that must've been.
Dynamic changes? Lexus has welded the car together a bit tighter, This increases body rigidity. We're guessing by Not A Whole Lot. They've changed the spring rates and added a new shock absorber valve in a bid to improve the slightly iffy ride from which the current CT 200h suffers.
Inside, the old steering wheel has been slung out and replaced by one nicked from the CT's older brother, the IS. In other ground-breaking changes, this Lexus is the world's first car to have bamboo in the speakers, which apparently makes Bruno Mars sound more... bambooish. You also get the benefit of tyre pressure sensors and the ability to turn off traction control for the first time: good for the upcoming snowy conditions, or if you want to unleash your inner Stig.
So if you've asked Santa for a CT 200h, wait! This new tweaked one will be available in the UK next March. The price of the new CT is yet to be announced, but expect them to be quite similar to the old. Like the new CT itself.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance