This Hyundai Veloster concept has a turbocharged 2.0-litre, 296bhp engine in the middle, it's called the Midship, and we demand that it's built this instant.
Matthew Jones30 May 2014
This mid-engined Veloster is insane
Hyundai needs to build the 2.0-litre 296bhp Midship concept immediately
Because it is, essentially, a baby supercar. A bit like the Renaultsport Clio V6 and VW Golf GTI W12-650. There's lightweight alloy suspension, what looks to be a spaceframe chassis (though Hyundai UK couldn't tell us either way), and a carbonfibre bookshelf on the back.
It's also been built by the same bods that put the i20 World Rally Championship car together - another 296bhp looper (but with four-wheel drive and the engine in the front) that's been scoring WRC podium finishes this season. Pretty impressive considering it's the first time Hyundai's entered the WRC for ten years.
Trouble is, it's another one of those vapourware concept cars. A spokesperson told us that the Midship will "explore possibilities for the Veloster chassis and is currently not related to any future production model". Rubbish.
That said, while the words that follow the next comma are resolutely incorrect and based on nothing but blind optimism, we're certain that the South Korean manufacturer will build it if you tell them to in the comments section below.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Top Gear’s Top Ten Lairy Pick-Ups
- From BMW’s V8-engined M3 truck to the Dodge Ram SRT-10, we round up Planet Earth's maddest trucks
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- First UK drive: Mercedes-AMG GT S
- It’s our first shot in Merc’s 503bhp, V8 sports car on home roads. Brit correspondent Ollie Marriage reports
- What’s your favourite Vision GT car?
- Gamers of the world, unite. Here are the maddest, baddest concepts from Gran Turismo 6