Welcome, Ladies and Gentlemen, to the least interesting vehicle due to be unveiled at this week's Frankfurt Motor Show.
Tom Harrison09 September 2013
VW Sportsvan Concept Revealed
VW pumps up the Golf, gives it a silly name…
It is a Golf, but bigger. Really, that's it. Save for a new slathering of sheet metal, the Vokswagen Sportsvan Concept is, to all intents and purposes, a Very Big Golf.
What it actually is, is the new Golf Plus. A slightly taller, more spacious version of the ubiquitous premium hatch. The Sportsvan is 83mm longer, 80mm wider and 126mm higher than a five-door Golf, but a massive 224mm shorter than a Golf Estate.
Even so, boot space is up to 498-litres from the standard car's 380, and its increased height is likely to make ingress and egress much more straightforward. And good news for IKEA fans, the front passenger seat folds down for maximum flat-pack fun.
The Sportsvan is based on the MQB platform, which underpins just about everything Golf-sized from VAG nowadays and it looks, well, like a Golf.
Engine-wise, you'll be in familiar territory, too. There are four 1.4-litre motors to choose from, with anywhere between 85bhp and 150bhp, and three diesels. All engines bar the lowliest, 85bhp petrol can be specified with a DSG gearbox, and the most economical nets more than 76mpg.
The tech's familiar too - VW's pre-collision braking system, Adaptive Cruise Control and Blind Spot Monitoring are all available.
The Sportsvan - or Golf Plus, as it'll likely be called - will go on sale in the UK in 2014. Are you shivering with anticipation, TopGear.commers?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?