Welcome, Ladies and Gentlemen, to the least interesting vehicle due to be unveiled at this week's Frankfurt Motor Show.
Tom Harrison09 September 2013
VW Sportsvan Concept Revealed
VW pumps up the Golf, gives it a silly name…
It is a Golf, but bigger. Really, that's it. Save for a new slathering of sheet metal, the Vokswagen Sportsvan Concept is, to all intents and purposes, a Very Big Golf.
What it actually is, is the new Golf Plus. A slightly taller, more spacious version of the ubiquitous premium hatch. The Sportsvan is 83mm longer, 80mm wider and 126mm higher than a five-door Golf, but a massive 224mm shorter than a Golf Estate.
Even so, boot space is up to 498-litres from the standard car's 380, and its increased height is likely to make ingress and egress much more straightforward. And good news for IKEA fans, the front passenger seat folds down for maximum flat-pack fun.
The Sportsvan is based on the MQB platform, which underpins just about everything Golf-sized from VAG nowadays and it looks, well, like a Golf.
Engine-wise, you'll be in familiar territory, too. There are four 1.4-litre motors to choose from, with anywhere between 85bhp and 150bhp, and three diesels. All engines bar the lowliest, 85bhp petrol can be specified with a DSG gearbox, and the most economical nets more than 76mpg.
The tech's familiar too - VW's pre-collision braking system, Adaptive Cruise Control and Blind Spot Monitoring are all available.
The Sportsvan - or Golf Plus, as it'll likely be called - will go on sale in the UK in 2014. Are you shivering with anticipation, TopGear.commers?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'