"We're gonna keep jumping the truck ‘til we break the record, or break the truck." Not our words (surprisingly), but the words of Joe Sylvester, driver of Bad Habit, a 4535kg, 1400hp monster truck that's just broken the world record monster truck distance jump at the Cornfield 500.
Matthew Jones13 September 2013
Video: record monster truck jump
Watch Joe Sylvester jump a 1400hp truck 72.42 metres at 85mph…
Yep, this Ram-bodied giant managed to jump 72.42 metres - that's more than 42 Richard Hammonds. Sylvester hit the launch ramp at 85mph, only 1mph short of the current monster truck land-speed record, and landed so violently he destroyed Bad Habit's front suspension. And some of, er, America...
Sylvester says: "The level of risk is about as high as you can go in a monster truck. I can't really think of anything else that would be higher risk than that. If you crash at that speed and from that height it's pretty devastating".
Having first claimed the record in 2010 with a 63.39-metre jump, he doesn't think he'll have to defend it any time soon. "It's not a matter of difficulty. It's if they've got the balls to hit a jump at 85 miles per hour, and as far as I know there's not anybody ready to step up and take that kind of a chance yet."
Now watch. Then check out this monster truck near miss, the time Hammond taught a nun to drive one, and our drive in a rather large Fiat Panda....
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Alpina celebrates 50th with 200mph B6
- Renowned BMW fiddler brings in the half-century in the only way it knows how: speed and power
- Mercedes reveals its GLE posh-roader
- Bye bye ML, hello GLE: Merc’s new SUV gets hybrid and Cayenne-crushing 577bhp AMG versions
- Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
- The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV
- Malaysian GP: 6 things you need to know
- Alonso’s back, and Nico’s stopped sweating: all the news ahead of the second race of the 2015 F1 season