Matthew Jones 28 August 2013
This is Volvo's SPA coupe concept
A lovely successor to the P1800, but no plans to build it…
But while Ingenlath, formerly of Volkswagen and Skoda, says it doffs its cap to the beautiful P1800 (the one Roger Moore drove in The Saint, remember?) Volvo also tells us it doesn't mean there will be a styling-led coupe in the company's near future.
What it does do is demonstrate the flexibility of the manufacturer's new Scaleable Product Architecture (SPA), a modular platform developed in-house that the Swedes claim will be even more flexible than VW's rather good MQB architecture.
It also shows off Ingenlath's new styling direction, which we'll see debut on the next XC90. So expect features that exemplify what he describes as "the powerful calmness of a lion", and "distinctive, surprising delight details" on the SUV when it lands next year...
So, what about the concept? Under the styling, there's a 400bhp 2.0-litre petrol engine with a turbo and supercharger driving the front axle, while the rear end has its own electric motor. Which all sounds very futurleand, but Volvo's told us it'll only supply 2.0-litre four-cylinder engines in its cars in future, either petrol or diesel and appended with forced induction, electric power, or both.
Inside, there's a hand-cut crystal gear lever, leather dash, woven carpets, and a big portrait touch-screen in the centre console, which replaces pretty much all of the buttons.
If you want Volvo to build it, tell them in the comments section below. We'll forward them on...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance