Some car companies rely on subliminal messaging, reverse psychology and wry understatement to promote their wares. Lamborghini is not one of these companies.
TopGear.com02 December 2013
Lambo sticks Veneno Roadster on warship
Lamborghini parks its £3.5m convertible on the deck of an Italian aircraft carrier. Well, why not?
When Lamborghini wants to show off its latest, maddest hyper-convertible on its first public appearance, it slaps it on the deck of a warship. An Italian warship.
Yes, in an exercise apparently demonstrating (a) the superiority of Italian-made goods and (b) the appointment of a nine-year-old boy somewhere high up in the Sant'Agata management structure, Lambo has parked its very expensive, very pointy and very exclusive limited-run Veneno Roadster next to a Harrier Jump Jet on the Italian navy's 240-metre aircraft carrier in Abu Dhabi.
If ever there was a car that didn't require a massive, weaponised boat to boost its visual oomph, it's the 740bhp, V12-engined, styled-with-a-cheesegrater roofless Veneno. At the same time, we're not complaining, because, y'know... it's a pointy Lambo and a warship. What's not to like?
Even so, a word of warning: 220mph hypercar, aircraft carrier... best keep Black Stig away from the Persian Gulf for a while. Remember what happened last time?
Clearly the military-hardware-plus-hypercar gauntlet has been thrown down to Lambo's arch-rival. Let's see a LaFerrari strapped to the fuselage of an SR-71 Blackbird, Maranello...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- What’s your favourite Vision GT car?
- Gamers of the world, unite. Here are the maddest, baddest concepts from Gran Turismo 6
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- Wallpapers: the new Focus RS
- Decorate your desktop with TG's glorious shots of the 320bhp-plus, 4WD B-road supercar slayer