This is the Aston Martin Design Prototype 100. It's the latest concept car in a series of rather good ones built for Gran Turismo 6 on the PS3, which manufacturers now seem be using as a de facto virtual motor show. And it's possibly the best one yet.
TopGear.com26 June 2014
Is this the future of Aston Martin?
DP-100 racer is the latest concept to join Gran Turismo 6 ranks. And possibly the best
The other GT6 Vision GT concepts from Mercedes, Nissan, BMW and Volkswagen, have all taken a few too many sips of the digital Kool Aid, and this is right up there. A firm riposte to many TopGear.com commenters who accuse Astons of always looking the same.
Actually, there are some familiar nods. The HDMI socket grill remains, of course, and the light blade rear lamps and judicious use of yellow are reminiscent of the CC100 Speedster Concept we saw last year. Design Director Marek Reichman says "many of the design cues visible ... could also feed through into future sports cars that we'll launch in the offline world. The importance of this project should not be underestimated."
There will also be a digital twin-turbo V12 offering up 800bhp in the game: imagine the NA monster from the One-77 with a couple of massive blowers on it, although that can probably remain strictly a virtual fantasy for now.
A model of the car will be at the Goodwood Festival of Speed this weekend. Worth a poke around to get close to the future of Aston Martin. You never know, the Mercedes Gran Turismo concept eventually became the AMG GT S...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- First drive: VW Golf R Estate
- TG’s favourite hot hatch is now available in estate flavour. But is it as good? Tom Harrison reports