Audi has revealed sketches of a new crossover SUV concept it plans on revealing at the upcoming Beijing Motor Show. That's it, above.
Vijay Pattni08 April 2014
Is this the new Audi TT SUV?
Crossover-SUV concept set for Beijing Motor Show; more than a whiff of TT about it
There's more than a whiff of TT about the ‘Showcar' concept's design. And we've been told the concept also uses the upcoming TT's transverse engine layout. The body is, in essence, a stretched and raised TT too. That means there would be lots of aluminium, to keep it light. And the dash is just like the new TT's screen-based setup.
That would make it a more compact crossover than things like the BMW X4 or Porsche Macan. A wearable SUV, if you like.
Now, remember back in January, at the Detroit Motor Show when Audi's R&D chief Ulrich Hackenberg told Top Gear how the new TT has much more potential, and that the market trend is for smaller crossovers? "You could do a crossover TT," he told us.
Tech-wise, it'd be nice to see the same hybrid drivetrain as used on the Allroad Shooting Brake we saw in Detroit, which utilized a 292bhp 2.0-litre TFSI engine from the S3, along with a hybrid motor sat between the engine and S-Tronic gearbox. In total, that Shooting Brake produced 408bhp and went from 0-62mph in 4.6 seconds.
You're also looking at four-wheel-drive, and space for just four people inside. And, um, that's about all we can say. We'll give you more as soon as we get it. Until then, let us know your considered opinion in the handy space below.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance