Good news for small offroadists: Audi will show a dinky two-door crossover concept at the Detroit show in January, a mini-SUV that likely hints at its upcoming ‘Q1' due in 2016.
Sam Philip05 December 2013
Is this the Audi Q1?
No, but it’s a sketch previewing a concept previewing Audi’s new baby crossover. We think
Details are scarce at this stage, but we do know the as-yet-unnamed concept - previewed here in official-but-sketchy-form - measures a mere 420cm from nose to tail.
That's 16cm shorter than the three-door Range Rover Evoque, a full 22cm shorter than Merc's GLA and nearly 20cm less than Audi's current smallest SUV, the Q3.
In other words, this thing is small. Smaller, even, than a Skoda Yeti. Similar in length to Ford's Fiesta-based Ecosport. Small.
Beyond that, all is secrecy. Audi says the concept is ‘a car for all roads and tracks', and that its design is ‘typical of e-tron models', which might hint at an electric powertrain.
OK, so artsy designers' sketches could make even a first-gen Fiat Multipla look good, but we reckon this concept could be a handsome little thing. Can you get on board with the idea of a tiny two-door Audi crossover?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance