Exactly one year after the launch of the Audi S3 Sportback comes this, the new Audi S3 Cabriolet. And the basic premise remains: same bombastic engine, same drivetrain, same speed. Well, nearly the same speed.
Vijay Pattni18 February 2014
Audi reveals the 300bhp S3 Cabrio
It has a folding roof. It looks good. And it’s got 300bhp, 4WD and launch control
The S3 Cabrio is a touch slower than the Sportback because of a 200kg weight penalty over its sibling, but is still indecently quick, and faster than any small convertible has a right to be barring something exotic.
The engine is a 2.0-litre very, very turbocharged four-cylinder producing 300bhp and a whopping 280lb ft of torque, fed through a standard-fit six-speed DSG ‘box and Audi's multi-plate clutch 'Quattro' four-wheel-drive system.
All of which is good for a 0-62mph time of 5.4 seconds and a limited top speed of 155mph. That benchmark sprint is 0.4 seconds off the DSG-equipped Sportback S3, but is 0.1s quicker than an S3 Sportback with a manual ‘box.
It's a mighty engine, though, featuring heavy-duty aluminium pistons, stronger connecting rods, an aluminium cylinder head and two balancer shafts for "supremely smooth running". It runs 1.2 bars of turbo pressure together with a powerful intercooler.
We're told the bottom gears of the gearbox are stacked closely together for plenty of off-the-line pace, while the top gears are longer for low rpm motorway cruising. That 4WD system sends most of the power to the front, and redirects to the rear axle when ‘traction decreases'.
As with the S3 Sportback, this Cabrio sits 25mm lower than the regular A3 Cabrio, gets 18-inch aluminium alloys as standard, huge 340mm front brake discs, and adaptive damping.
Inside you'll find a boost pressure indicator (thumbs up), sports seats, some new leather combinations, a sports steering wheel and stainless steel pedals and footrests. There are also many options, too, should you be on first-name terms with your bank manager.
It'll cost €48,500 in Germany, with UK pricing to be confirmed. For reference, the S3 Sportback costs a whisker under £33,000...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance