Audi has released a few sketches of its upcoming MkIII TT. Headline news? To quote The Matrix, it's "evolution, Morpheus, evolution..."
Vijay Pattni20 February 2014
First sketches of the new Audi TT
Third generation of Audi’s baby sportscar to be revealed at Geneva. Here’s what it’ll look like
We're told this new Audi TT will 'reinterpret the ideas' of the first TT, a car that was a real milestone in Audi design. Hell, of car design as a whole.
What are we looking at then? The front of the car is said to have ‘dominant horizontals' that give it a powerful stance, while the four rings logo now sits on the bonnet - just like the R8 supercar - where a pair of contours also form a sort of V-pattern.
The wheel arches are wider, too, there's a kink in the C-pillar, and horizontal lines at the back continue the wide, sporty stance. Audi will fit two large, round exhaust pipes in the diffuser on all TTs, but the TTS will get four pipes.
As we showed you before, the interior looks superb, all floating lines and aircraft inspiration, with that central digital display offering up 3D graphics on a TFT monitor. The classic TT air nozzles seen on the first-gen car now resemble jet engines, with the air-con, seat heating, temperature, direction and airflow strength controls all located in the vents and axes.
The TT's underpinnings are all brand new, too, in the shape of the VW Group's MQB architecture. If the other applications of this flexible platform are anything to go by, it should be a decent drive. Expect variants of that 2.0-litre turbo petrol engine and of course, the lovely 2.5-litre five-pot turbo in the RS to follow.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance