Audi has released a few sketches of its upcoming MkIII TT. Headline news? To quote The Matrix, it's "evolution, Morpheus, evolution..."
Vijay Pattni20 February 2014
First sketches of the new Audi TT
Third generation of Audi’s baby sportscar to be revealed at Geneva. Here’s what it’ll look like
We're told this new Audi TT will 'reinterpret the ideas' of the first TT, a car that was a real milestone in Audi design. Hell, of car design as a whole.
What are we looking at then? The front of the car is said to have ‘dominant horizontals' that give it a powerful stance, while the four rings logo now sits on the bonnet - just like the R8 supercar - where a pair of contours also form a sort of V-pattern.
The wheel arches are wider, too, there's a kink in the C-pillar, and horizontal lines at the back continue the wide, sporty stance. Audi will fit two large, round exhaust pipes in the diffuser on all TTs, but the TTS will get four pipes.
As we showed you before, the interior looks superb, all floating lines and aircraft inspiration, with that central digital display offering up 3D graphics on a TFT monitor. The classic TT air nozzles seen on the first-gen car now resemble jet engines, with the air-con, seat heating, temperature, direction and airflow strength controls all located in the vents and axes.
The TT's underpinnings are all brand new, too, in the shape of the VW Group's MQB architecture. If the other applications of this flexible platform are anything to go by, it should be a decent drive. Expect variants of that 2.0-litre turbo petrol engine and of course, the lovely 2.5-litre five-pot turbo in the RS to follow.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'