In 1991, Ayrton Senna became the (then) youngest ever three-time Formula One world champion. He did it using the rather pretty McLaren MP4/6. And he wore this race suit, which is now coming up for auction.
Vijay Pattni01 May 2014
Senna’s championship race suit for sale
Ayrton’s iconic 1991 McLaren overalls are coming up for auction
It's being offered up for sale at RM's Monaco sale next month, the same auction that boasts Sir Stirling Moss' old Maserati 450S and that 1950s Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing modified by AMG.
But this suit: what a piece of history. It's the suit Ayrton wore throughout 1991, and the sale includes documentation supplied by McLaren overlord Ron Dennis. Dennis even kept the suit in his own personal collection, and we're told it's been preserved in "wonderful condition". Which means, we assume, Ron didn't employ the overalls as a convenient set of fireproof pyjamas.
In 1991, Ayrton was driving the MP4/6 replete with a new V12. Though he had to drive hard to fend off the advance of the inconsistent-but-quick Williams of Nigel Mansell, Senna still managed seven wins that season, and a string of podium finishes to take the title.
It was to prove be his third and final title, as it was exactly 20 years ago today that Senna tragically lost his life in a fatal accident at the Imola GP in Italy.
Want to commemorate the great man? The suit is expected to fetch between €30,000 and €40,000 - between £25k and £33k.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there
- Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
- The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV
- Mercedes reveals its GLE posh-roader
- Bye bye ML, hello GLE: Merc’s new SUV gets hybrid and Cayenne-crushing 577bhp AMG versions