This is the fastest production Bentley ever built, the new Continental GT Speed. It's also emphatically, unequivocally and massively faster than the last fastest production Bentley ever built, the old Continental GT Speed. By a full... one mph.
Vijay Pattni25 February 2014
This is the fastest Bentley ever
New Continental GT Speed’s twin-turbo W12 gets more power and more speed
You see, in 2012, Bentley turned up the 6.0-litre twin-turbo W12 from 567bhp to 616bhp. Now, in 2014, this 6.0-litre W12 has been turned up yet again from 616bhp to 626bhp and 607lb ft of torque, to help it hit a top speed of 206mph. The old Conti Speed could only manage 205mph. Pah.
The GT Speed Convertible can manage 203mph now too, and both come with a lowered and stiffer chassis, while new flourishes include a sharper front splitter, new side skirts, a new rear diffuser, and a dark tint applied to the 21in wheels, headlights and tail lights.
There are red brake calipers, chrome ‘Speed' badges fitted to the front wings, and ‘Candy Red' paint is available as an option, too. Step inside and you're treated to a new colour split reserved exclusively for the Speed, with contrast stitching and ‘Speed' branding on the front and rear headrests.
Otherwise it's business as usual, that business being, um, speed. 0-62mph takes 4.2 seconds. 0-100mph takes 9.0 seconds. Top speed is of course, 206mph. Whichever way you look at it, that's fast. Though not quite as fast as the Venom GT...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- McLaren names its 'baby' supercar 570S
- With the Sports Series unveil just a week away, McLaren reveals title of its 562bhp Porsche 911-fighter
- America’s 290mph, 1700bhp hypercar
- Strangely styled LM2 Streamliner takes its bow at next week’s New York show. 0-60mph? 2.2 secs…
- Clarkson on: leaving Top Gear TV
- "Much as I liked Pebble Mill, I really did grow to hate, with unbridled passion, the city that surrounds it"
- Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
- The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV
- Who is Magnus Walker?
- Porsche restorer, clothing designer and location scout... meet the Yorkshire lad turned LA hipster