This is not a render of the next M2, BMW's upcoming successor to the sublime 1M Coupe.
Vijay Pattni27 November 2013
Will the BMW M2 look like this?
Massive arches, pointy bits: BMW’s track-only M235i Racing hints at a happy M-car future
This is a render of the M235i Racing, BMW's new entry-level motorsport machine to replace its Z4 racer. But surely, with its box arches and Front Dam Of Many Inlets, it's a heavy hint at how the baby two-door M-car will look when it arrives in 2015?
The M235i Racing is a production-based track-only coupe - sitting on the new 2-Series platform - that costs €59,500 and meets all the requirements to race at the Nürburgring in the VLN Endurance Championship and 24 Hour race.
Taking the current range-topping M235i, BMW has upped the turbocharged 3.0-litre straight-sixer's power to 333bhp, along with fitting a proper mechanical limited slip diff and widening the tracks. It also sits a little lower than the standard car, gets BMW M Performance front and rear spoilers, diffuser and carbon wing mirrors. Oh, and a FIA-approved safety cage and safety fuel tank.
"The basis our engineers had to start with when developing the racing version of the BMW M235i Racing was exceptionally good," BMW Motorsport director Jens Marquardt tells us. "We did not have to make many modifications in order to get the M235i Coupe up and running as a race car."
This bodes well, because it means churning out the new M2 - a car we'd expect to get even more power than this racer's 333bhp, likely from a similar turbo straight six - should be a walk in the park.
How would your perfect M2 look?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'