This is the world's most powerful street-legal all-wheel drive estate. At least, Brabus claims this is the world's most powerful street-legal all-wheel drive estate, and frankly we're not going to argue.
Vijay Pattni05 December 2013
The Brabus 850 is a twin-turbo monster
838bhp Mercedes E63 AMG is ‘world’s most powerful street-legal 4WD wagon’. Woah
Meet the 838bhp Brabus 850 6.0 Biturbo, 838bhp worth of Mercedes E63 AMG - a car very few have described as ‘underpowered' - and possibly the quickest way to become very friendly with your local tyre depot. And police station. And divorce lawyer.
So what are we looking at? The mighty Merc's ‘standard' 5.5-litre twin turbo V8 has been bored out to 5.9 litres, and gets forged pistons, a precision-balanced billet custom crankshaft and eight custom billet piston rods, together with flowed cylinder heads.
The turbos have been replaced with Brabus items, featuring larger compressors and special exhaust manifolds, while there's a carbon fibre intake module, integrated air duct in the bonnet, and intake and charge-air tubes with special gold heat reflection sheathing.
And you get a stainless steel sports exhaust with a control valve that alters the noise: you can choose a ‘coming home' mode, where it whispers, or a ‘sport' mode, where it causes your dog to have a seizure.
All of this tweaking, together with a remapped ECU, naturally, causes 838bhp to be made (the most powerful Brabus engine to date) and a potential 1,069lb ft of torque, though output is capped at 848lb ft in the ‘interest of the longevity of the powertain'.
0-62mph takes just 3.1 seconds, and it'll top out at 217mph. We don't need to tell you how many supercars this thing can waste.
There are some aero tweaks too: a front spoiler lip, diffuser, monoblock alloy wheels, a custom Brabus interior and even some race pedals.
If this isn't mad enough, then perhaps sir would prefer the Brabus 700 Widestar instead, also at Essen? It's a 700bhp G63 AMG, built for the Dubai police department. Pictures above. Anything you say may be used in evidence against you.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Meet SVO's £149,000 Range Rover
- Thought picnicking on a Rangey's tailgate couldn’t get any posher? Enter JLR Special Ops
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Road trip: hunting for old Minis in Chile
- A small British hatch. The driest, wildest place on Earth. What could go wrong?
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one