This is the world's most powerful street-legal all-wheel drive estate. At least, Brabus claims this is the world's most powerful street-legal all-wheel drive estate, and frankly we're not going to argue.
Vijay Pattni05 December 2013
The Brabus 850 is a twin-turbo monster
838bhp Mercedes E63 AMG is ‘world’s most powerful street-legal 4WD wagon’. Woah
Meet the 838bhp Brabus 850 6.0 Biturbo, 838bhp worth of Mercedes E63 AMG - a car very few have described as ‘underpowered' - and possibly the quickest way to become very friendly with your local tyre depot. And police station. And divorce lawyer.
So what are we looking at? The mighty Merc's ‘standard' 5.5-litre twin turbo V8 has been bored out to 5.9 litres, and gets forged pistons, a precision-balanced billet custom crankshaft and eight custom billet piston rods, together with flowed cylinder heads.
The turbos have been replaced with Brabus items, featuring larger compressors and special exhaust manifolds, while there's a carbon fibre intake module, integrated air duct in the bonnet, and intake and charge-air tubes with special gold heat reflection sheathing.
And you get a stainless steel sports exhaust with a control valve that alters the noise: you can choose a ‘coming home' mode, where it whispers, or a ‘sport' mode, where it causes your dog to have a seizure.
All of this tweaking, together with a remapped ECU, naturally, causes 838bhp to be made (the most powerful Brabus engine to date) and a potential 1,069lb ft of torque, though output is capped at 848lb ft in the ‘interest of the longevity of the powertain'.
0-62mph takes just 3.1 seconds, and it'll top out at 217mph. We don't need to tell you how many supercars this thing can waste.
There are some aero tweaks too: a front spoiler lip, diffuser, monoblock alloy wheels, a custom Brabus interior and even some race pedals.
If this isn't mad enough, then perhaps sir would prefer the Brabus 700 Widestar instead, also at Essen? It's a 700bhp G63 AMG, built for the Dubai police department. Pictures above. Anything you say may be used in evidence against you.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'