Chevrolet has hit upon the novel idea of using a little known area of challenging forest draped with intermittent terror and tarmac called ‘Nürburgring' to test the capability of its new Camaro Z/28. It posted a lap time. It was quite fast.
Vijay Pattni15 October 2013
Camaro Z/28 storms around the ‘Ring
505bhp new Chevy posts 7m 37.47s lap time around the Nürburgring
How fast? 7m 37.47s. In isolation, that sounds incredibly slow, considering the Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 boasts a 505bhp, 470lb ft 7.0-litre V8 - the same one you'll find in the Corvette Z06 - tinkered by Corvette Racing. All this power is marshaled through a six-speed manual gearbox to the 19in rear wheels in a torrent of sweaty-palmed fury. But then do bear in mind this 'Nürburgring' is around 13 miles long.
But of course, we jest; every single manufacturer has sent one or all of its product range around the terrifyingly damp and green forest hell that passes for the ‘Ring, and the Z/28's lap time stands up commendably. According to The Internet, anyway (the usual caveat about unofficial ‘Ring lap times applies here blah blah...).
At 7m 37.47s, it's quicker than the new 911 Carrera S, the old 430 Scud' and Lamborghini Murcielago LP-640, and many others that are slower than 7m 37.47s. Have a watch of the attempt in the video above; you'll agree that it sounds rather pleasant, too.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- What’s your favourite Vision GT car?
- Gamers of the world, unite. Here are the maddest, baddest concepts from Gran Turismo 6
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- Wallpapers: the new Focus RS
- Decorate your desktop with TG's glorious shots of the 320bhp-plus, 4WD B-road supercar slayer