A few months ago, the DongFeng Motor Group in China invested many, many millions of euros into Peugeot-Citroen (PSA). Now, at the Beijing Motor Show, we can see the first fruit of this new money in this C-XR SUV concept.
Vijay Pattni22 April 2014
This is Citroen’s new SUV concept
‘C-XR’ design study lands at Beijing Motor Show, preview future China-based SUV
It's the first SUV jointly developed by Citroen and DongFeng, set to enter one of the automotive world's last growth sectors and previewing a future jointly produced model.
Proportionally, it's around the same size as the DS4, though of course gets extra ground clearance and 17in alloys. There's additional body cladding around the front and rear of the car - and the wheel arches - while we're promised the suspension can ‘effortlessly absorb road imperfections' for a more refined ride.
It's a two-wheel-drive effort - ‘Grip Control' tech and all-season tyres eliminating the need for 4WD, we're told - along with PSA's 160bhp 1.6-litre petrol engine up front. 4WD would increase emissions and reduce efficiency, and who actually uses an off-roader for going, well, off-road anymore?
The C-XR also features a chrome finished grille, LED daytime running headlights, a ‘C' shaped signature that runs from the roof bars to the waist, and 3D effect rear lights.
Inside, Citroen tells us there's a 'saloon-style' (the car, not the bar, we assume) driving position and a panoramic glass sunroof to help cook your scalp. Expect the production version C-XR to arrive on an eastern shore at some point in the near future.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?