A few months ago, the DongFeng Motor Group in China invested many, many millions of euros into Peugeot-Citroen (PSA). Now, at the Beijing Motor Show, we can see the first fruit of this new money in this C-XR SUV concept.
Vijay Pattni22 April 2014
This is Citroen’s new SUV concept
‘C-XR’ design study lands at Beijing Motor Show, preview future China-based SUV
It's the first SUV jointly developed by Citroen and DongFeng, set to enter one of the automotive world's last growth sectors and previewing a future jointly produced model.
Proportionally, it's around the same size as the DS4, though of course gets extra ground clearance and 17in alloys. There's additional body cladding around the front and rear of the car - and the wheel arches - while we're promised the suspension can ‘effortlessly absorb road imperfections' for a more refined ride.
It's a two-wheel-drive effort - ‘Grip Control' tech and all-season tyres eliminating the need for 4WD, we're told - along with PSA's 160bhp 1.6-litre petrol engine up front. 4WD would increase emissions and reduce efficiency, and who actually uses an off-roader for going, well, off-road anymore?
The C-XR also features a chrome finished grille, LED daytime running headlights, a ‘C' shaped signature that runs from the roof bars to the waist, and 3D effect rear lights.
Inside, Citroen tells us there's a 'saloon-style' (the car, not the bar, we assume) driving position and a panoramic glass sunroof to help cook your scalp. Expect the production version C-XR to arrive on an eastern shore at some point in the near future.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'