Vijay Pattni18 December 2013
McRae family Escort rally car up for sale
Tested by Colin and driven to victory by his dad and brother, meet the £85k MkII RS1800
And just look at the thing. It's a 1977 Escort RS1800 Gp4 historic rally car, built by Prepfab Motorsport Engineering, and tested by the late, great Colin and his father Jimmy. And it's got pedigree too.
In 2006 Jimmy McRae raced it in the Roger Albert Clark Rally and won; the next year he took outright victory in the pre-1981 category of the 2007 British Historic Championship.
In 2008, Colin's brother Alistair raced this MkII in the Colin McRae Forest Stages Rally - a memorial event marking the sad passing of Colin in 2007 - where he drove to an outright win in the historic category. Consider this: Alistair was racing against people like Ari Vatanen, Hannu Mikkola, Malcolm Wilson and Bjorn Waldegard. All competent helmsmen, beaten by a little Escort.
We're told the car was treated to a full restoration in 2009, and competed in the '10 and '11 Rally Clasico Isla Mallorca. Should you wish to bid for this fine item, you will be treated to a 260bhp 2.0-litre 4cyl engine with Weber carbs, a ZF five-speed race gearbox, an LSD, Bilstein adjustable front struts, coilovers on the rear, 13in Gp4 wheels, roll cage, alloy arches, fiberglass bonnet/boot and even MOT and tax until May 2014.
How much you cry? It's expected to go for up to £85,000 at Silverstone Auctions' Race Retro sale on 22 February 2014. Time for a garage sale?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Mercedes reveals its GLE posh-roader
- Bye bye ML, hello GLE: Merc’s new SUV gets hybrid and Cayenne-crushing 577bhp AMG versions
- Alpina celebrates 50th with 200mph B6
- Renowned BMW fiddler brings in the half-century in the only way it knows how: speed and power
- Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
- The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV
- Malaysian GP: 6 things you need to know
- Alonso’s back, and Nico’s stopped sweating: all the news ahead of the second race of the 2015 F1 season