Vijay Pattni18 December 2013
McRae family Escort rally car up for sale
Tested by Colin and driven to victory by his dad and brother, meet the £85k MkII RS1800
And just look at the thing. It's a 1977 Escort RS1800 Gp4 historic rally car, built by Prepfab Motorsport Engineering, and tested by the late, great Colin and his father Jimmy. And it's got pedigree too.
In 2006 Jimmy McRae raced it in the Roger Albert Clark Rally and won; the next year he took outright victory in the pre-1981 category of the 2007 British Historic Championship.
In 2008, Colin's brother Alistair raced this MkII in the Colin McRae Forest Stages Rally - a memorial event marking the sad passing of Colin in 2007 - where he drove to an outright win in the historic category. Consider this: Alistair was racing against people like Ari Vatanen, Hannu Mikkola, Malcolm Wilson and Bjorn Waldegard. All competent helmsmen, beaten by a little Escort.
We're told the car was treated to a full restoration in 2009, and competed in the '10 and '11 Rally Clasico Isla Mallorca. Should you wish to bid for this fine item, you will be treated to a 260bhp 2.0-litre 4cyl engine with Weber carbs, a ZF five-speed race gearbox, an LSD, Bilstein adjustable front struts, coilovers on the rear, 13in Gp4 wheels, roll cage, alloy arches, fiberglass bonnet/boot and even MOT and tax until May 2014.
How much you cry? It's expected to go for up to £85,000 at Silverstone Auctions' Race Retro sale on 22 February 2014. Time for a garage sale?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'