"Performance will be suitably brisk, yet refined," promises David Brown, of David Brown Automotive. Earlier this year he said he was going to make a new British sportscar, and today we find out it will come with a supercharged V8. Welcome to ‘Project Judi'.
Vijay Pattni11 February 2014
507bhp V8 for new British sportscar
David Brown Automotive’s ‘Project Judi’ will sit on the XKR base, gets supercharged V8
As we noted before, it's not a car modelled on our very own Dame Judi, but indeed one that is modelled on the chassis and powertrain of the Jaguar XKR, optimised specifically by engineers working on the car.
So, it means we'll see ‘Project Judi' with a supercharged, 5.0-litre V8 producing a really very healthy 507bhp, 461lb ft of torque, a 0-60mph time of 4.6 seconds (0-62mph in 4.8s) and a top speed in excess of 155mph.
It is resolutely rear wheel drive, with a six-speed automatic gearbox mounted somewhere in the middle, utilising the Jaaaag's setup. "As reliability is vital, we chose to adopt a thoroughly proven and acclaimed chassis that not only delivers dynamic performance, but also lends itself to out lightweight aluminium design," says David.
So we know what's on the inside, but what's on the outside? Tantalisingly, we've only been given these teaser images. But, doesn't it look a little like a DB5? Mr Brown himself alludes to something old, saying "I wanted all the impact and style of a classic sports car, but with modern capabilities and conveniences."
We'll bring you more as we get it. Project Judi will be fully revealed on 17 April at the Top Marques Show in Monaco. Cue Bond music...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one
- Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
- The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there
- Alpina celebrates 50th with 200mph B6
- Renowned BMW fiddler brings in the half-century in the only way it knows how: speed and power