We’re no strangers to epic African adventures here at Top Gear, as Dr James May’s certificate for discovering the source of the Nile will attest (we think it’s lost in the post, but we’ve cleared a space for it on the wall).
TopGear.com27 June 2014
Video feature: the East African Safari Rally
Watch Tuthill Porsche's film as they take on one of the most extreme races on the planet…
But even we’ve never done the East African Safari Rally. An epic nine-day 3900km marathon through Kenya and Tanzania, the competitors not only have to deal with the pounding their cars get from the roads, heat and sand, but also the occasional passing zebra or elephant.
The four-part film above was made by Tuthill, and follows their 2013 journey as they return to try and match their 2011 victory in the hands of Bjorn Waldegard. And this time round the legendary Stig Blomqvist was at the wheel. We won’t spoil the film for you, but let’s say it was a race that deserved the word “classic”....
And if you enjoy this, Bjorn Waldegard’s winning 2011 Porsche will be running up the hill at the Goodwood Festival of Speed weekend. There probably won’t be any elephants there, mind you.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Meet SVO's £149,000 Range Rover
- Thought picnicking on a Rangey's tailgate couldn’t get any posher? Enter JLR Special Ops
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Road trip: hunting for old Minis in Chile
- A small British hatch. The driest, wildest place on Earth. What could go wrong?
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one