Words haven't really returned to us just yet, so excuse us if the remainder of this story is drivel. But above, you will notice what looks like Ferrari's Le Mans car of the future.
Vijay Pattni26 June 2014
This Ferrari LMP1 will make you squeak
UPDATE: new pic of the best-looking LMP1 racer we’ve ever seen. MAKE IT NOW
It's not. As in, it's in NO WAY OFFICIAL. But is in every way excellent. Most excellent. It's the work of Sicilian design student Daniele Pelligra, who used his excellent design brain and sketched out this excellent drawing.
Some background. First, Ferrari told TopGear.com last year how they were continually looking at other racing series and did not rule out a return to Le Mans. Second, Ferrari boss Luca di Montezemelo announced in his factory speech how he'd still love to return to Le Mans, spank everyone and go back home to Maranello as champions.
Then of course, there was Fernando Alonso present at this year's Le Mans 24hr race. All this combined to resonate with the people of the world, and so Daniele decided to imagine what he thinks Ferrari should do. Taking a mix of LaFerrari and the modern breed of LMP1 racers with their aero fins and monster wings, he's created a beauty. An angry beauty.
Daniele told TG.com that he even presented his project to Luca at the recent Ferrari Calvacade in Siracusa, who 'appreciated the design'. That's a mighty big endorsement. Not only that, but the pic was also posted to Kimi Raikkonen's official Facebook page.
It's all fake, of course. Nothing is real. But, we're crossing all fingers and toes that this rosso corsa monster will line up for next year's grid... alongside the LMP1 GT-R, Porsche, Audi and Toyota. Do it Ferrari. Please. Do it for us.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- Peugeot's 308 R Hybrid is a 500bhp hot hatch
- Petrol-electric, four-wheel drive Pug is technically a concept, but sounds mighty production-ready...