If you have ever watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off, firstly, congratulations! Secondly, you will instantly remember the iconic glass house that housed Cameron's dad's Ferrari.
Vijay Pattni02 June 2014
House from Ferris Bueller sells for $1m
Yep, the one from ‘that scene’, where a replica Ferrari 250 GT made grown men weep
Well, film-and-car-fans, this Chicagoan icon has just sold for $1.06 million - or £635k.
The two-building home was originally designed by A. James Speyer in 1953, with the glass pavilion that Cameron destroys added in 1974.
Though given its movie star status, you'd have thought the house was an easy sell; not so. The glass house has apparently been on the market for five years, and only sold after coming down from its original $2.3 million asking price.
It will of course, forever be remembered as the last sanctuary of a pristine Ferrari 250 GT California that Cameron kicks over and totals. The car used in the film was of course, a replica. In fact, the very replica used in the film went up for auction last year, and sold for £138k ($230,000).
The 250 death nearly never happened, however, as director John Hughes was toying between using the Ferrari or a Porsche 911 Turbo. After seeing a magazine spread on the people who built the replica (Modena Spyder California), Hughes called them into his office, gave the car the once over and signaled his thumbs up.
Three were built for the movie - a ‘hero car', stunt car and a rolling fibreglass shell used for that scene. The hero and stunt cars used a 7.0-litre V8 with forged pistons, aluminium cylinder heads and a forged steel crankshaft, producing a nice round 500bhp.
Here's hoping this house's new owners don't ‘kill the car'...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- What’s your favourite Vision GT car?
- Gamers of the world, unite. Here are the maddest, baddest concepts from Gran Turismo 6
- Wallpapers: the new Focus RS
- Decorate your desktop with TG's glorious shots of the 320bhp-plus, 4WD B-road supercar slayer