The original Ford Mustang was launched on 17 April 1964 in New York. It sold over one million units in its first 18 months, creating a new breed of performance car as it did so.
Vijay Pattni31 March 2014
This is a Mustang breadvan
Bizarre Ford pony car combines the nose of a 'Stang with the rear of a Volvo estate. And a big V8. Whuh?
It's now in its seventh generation, and not once in the Stang's 50-year history has anyone thought: "My, if only I could combine my love of classic American muscle cars with the rear end of an old Volvo".
Well, not until now, anyway. Here we present to you a 1966 Ford Mustang that's been restomodded with the rear end a Volvo 240 DL estate. Restomodding of course, is the process of restoring classics, but not to their original factory spec. Hence why this Mustang's got a Volvo rear end.
It's up for sale on eBay, built by a professional Mustang restorer who, we're told, took a standard six-cylinder coupe he'd owned for 20 years and spent more than $120,000 creating this one-off show car.
The new front valance and bonnet are all made from fibreglass, there's new chrome all round, a custom cream interior with bucket seats and ‘period correct' pony inserts, and - in an incongruous blend of Yankee and Scandi - the roof panel and hatch assembly from a Volvo 240 DL estate.
It's also been equipped with an 8.4-litre V8, and we're told "everything works as it should!" Quite how a MustVan is supposed to work, we're not sure.
Fancy it? It's currently up for sale on eBay with a starting bid of $35,000. Which is, in proper money, some pounds. Sacrilege, or the family car you've been crying out for?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at