The original Ford Mustang was launched on 17 April 1964 in New York. It sold over one million units in its first 18 months, creating a new breed of performance car as it did so.
Vijay Pattni31 March 2014
This is a Mustang breadvan
Bizarre Ford pony car combines the nose of a 'Stang with the rear of a Volvo estate. And a big V8. Whuh?
It's now in its seventh generation, and not once in the Stang's 50-year history has anyone thought: "My, if only I could combine my love of classic American muscle cars with the rear end of an old Volvo".
Well, not until now, anyway. Here we present to you a 1966 Ford Mustang that's been restomodded with the rear end a Volvo 240 DL estate. Restomodding of course, is the process of restoring classics, but not to their original factory spec. Hence why this Mustang's got a Volvo rear end.
It's up for sale on eBay, built by a professional Mustang restorer who, we're told, took a standard six-cylinder coupe he'd owned for 20 years and spent more than $120,000 creating this one-off show car.
The new front valance and bonnet are all made from fibreglass, there's new chrome all round, a custom cream interior with bucket seats and ‘period correct' pony inserts, and - in an incongruous blend of Yankee and Scandi - the roof panel and hatch assembly from a Volvo 240 DL estate.
It's also been equipped with an 8.4-litre V8, and we're told "everything works as it should!" Quite how a MustVan is supposed to work, we're not sure.
Fancy it? It's currently up for sale on eBay with a starting bid of $35,000. Which is, in proper money, some pounds. Sacrilege, or the family car you've been crying out for?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Top Gear’s Top Ten Lairy Pick-Ups
- From BMW’s V8-engined M3 truck to the Dodge Ram SRT-10, we round up Planet Earth's maddest trucks
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- TG's big road test: Volvo XC90
- Schoolrun fashion has never looked so smart. The new XC90 is here, and it's good
- Rise of the crossovers: it's Merc's GLC Coupe concept
- MB unveils preview of upcoming BMW X4 rival in Shanghai. Will the onslaught of coupe-SUVs ever end?
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts