The original Ford Mustang was launched on 17 April 1964 in New York. It sold over one million units in its first 18 months, creating a new breed of performance car as it did so.
Vijay Pattni31 March 2014
This is a Mustang breadvan
Bizarre Ford pony car combines the nose of a 'Stang with the rear of a Volvo estate. And a big V8. Whuh?
It's now in its seventh generation, and not once in the Stang's 50-year history has anyone thought: "My, if only I could combine my love of classic American muscle cars with the rear end of an old Volvo".
Well, not until now, anyway. Here we present to you a 1966 Ford Mustang that's been restomodded with the rear end a Volvo 240 DL estate. Restomodding of course, is the process of restoring classics, but not to their original factory spec. Hence why this Mustang's got a Volvo rear end.
It's up for sale on eBay, built by a professional Mustang restorer who, we're told, took a standard six-cylinder coupe he'd owned for 20 years and spent more than $120,000 creating this one-off show car.
The new front valance and bonnet are all made from fibreglass, there's new chrome all round, a custom cream interior with bucket seats and ‘period correct' pony inserts, and - in an incongruous blend of Yankee and Scandi - the roof panel and hatch assembly from a Volvo 240 DL estate.
It's also been equipped with an 8.4-litre V8, and we're told "everything works as it should!" Quite how a MustVan is supposed to work, we're not sure.
Fancy it? It's currently up for sale on eBay with a starting bid of $35,000. Which is, in proper money, some pounds. Sacrilege, or the family car you've been crying out for?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- What’s your favourite Vision GT car?
- Gamers of the world, unite. Here are the maddest, baddest concepts from Gran Turismo 6
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- Wallpapers: the new Focus RS
- Decorate your desktop with TG's glorious shots of the 320bhp-plus, 4WD B-road supercar slayer