They might be the only humans on earth capable of understanding (a) an F1 steering wheel, and b) what on earth Eddie Jordan is talking about, but can they understand a camera?
Tom Harrison22 January 2014
F1 drivers take photos of things
Sure they can drive, but can they take a pic? You decide, as snaps from 2013 go up for auction
We're about to find out, as photographs taken by Formula One drivers and team principals are soon to be auctioned in aid of the Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity.
All the sport's drivers and team principals were asked to take a photo for the Zoom Photographic Auction. These photographs have been signed, and will be auctioned by Coys in London at the beginning of February, and, we presume, will appear on eBay shortly afterwards.
Fernando Alonso took his photo atop the podium at this year's Italian Grand Prix, but other drivers chose to photograph scenes from outside the world of Formula One - or ‘show off', if you will.
Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber, for example, both photographed some idyllic mountains (Seb's photo is better, obviously). Ever tactful, Bernie Ecclestone captured the view from his Swiss home.
Cameras signed by contemporary and former drivers will also be auctioned at the event, which is in its second year. Reproductions of the photos will be published in a book, which will go on sale before the start of the 2014 season.
Image 1 taken by Fernando Alonso, image 2 taken by Franz Tost, image 3 taken by Nico Rosberg
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance