Good news for fans of super-saloons: Infiniti has built a full running prototype of its 560bhp, BMW M5-rivalling Q50 Eau Rouge concept for ‘evaluation' purposes. And the man doing the evaluation is four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel.
Vijay Pattni07 April 2014
560bhp Infiniti super saloon is coming
Vettel tests prototype of GT-R-engined, four-wheel-drive Q50 Eau Rouge. Watch out, RS6
Vettel of course, is Infiniti's Director of Performance, and the affable German has been fettling the Eau Rouge in a series of performance and handling tests at Bedfordshire's glamorous Millbrook facility.
The aim? Infiniti remains schtum at the moment, but it'd be safe to assume the Q50 ‘Eau Rouge' is heading for a limited production run. If so, this promises to be a very interesting proposition.
Because, as we told you at the Geneva Motor Show, the Q50 ‘Eau Rouge' packs the 3.8-litre, hand-built turbocharged V6 engine from the Nissan GT-R, piped through an Infiniti-spec 4WD system with a standard 50:50 torque split front and rear.
And the Eau Rouge has plenty of torque to split, too, producing a very healthy 443lb ft that, together with a seven-speed automatic gearbox (no dual-clutch here) manages a 0-62mph time under four seconds, and an estimated top speed of 180mph. Bearing in the mind the GT-R does the benchmark sprint in under three seconds, and we reckon Infiniti might be erring on the conservative side with those numbers.
The front and rear tracks are 20mm than those of the standard Q50, there are huge brakes, 20in lightweight forged aluminium alloys, a bespoke carbon fibre bumper, and a one-piece carbon fibre rear bumper with a very cool touch: a rear LED brake light lifted straight from the Red Bull F1 car.
Speaking of Red Bull, maybe we've got this ‘Eau Rouge' concept to blame for Vettel's comparatively slow start to the season? Maybe he's taking his ‘Director of Performance' job a little too seriously? Maybe not...
Anyway, we'll get more details when the prototype makes an appearance at the upcoming Beijing Motor Show on 20 April. No word on price, but a couple of months back, Infiniti told us to expect a tag of around £70k.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance