Since time immemorial, rumours of a Jaguar SUV have swirled around the motorshow ether. But now, after decades, perhaps even centuries, the Jaaag crossover is nearly here.
Sam Philip02 September 2013
Here comes Jag’s crossover
UPDATE: new leaked shots of C-X17 concept revealed. Yes, the 4x4 Jaguar is on its way
First, Jaguar teased a shady image of a concept it calls C-X17, following the reveals of the beautiful C-X16 that led to the F-Type, and the C-X75 that led to, well, nothing, unfortunately.
And now, two more shots have nefariously leaked onto the internet, ahead of the official reveal in Germany next week.
Not only does C-X17 give us a first glimpse at Jaguar's production crossover, likely to land sometime in 2016, but also the company's new modular aluminium architecture.
Jaguar says this concept "illustrates the diversity of vehicles that could be produced" using this flexible new architecture, an investment that, we're told, "underpins the innovative future of the Jaguar brand".
Flexible it may be, but don't expect a hulking Audi Q7 rival from Jaguar. The C-X17 melds Jag's sports car design cues into an unusually low, sleek package, as you can see above.
Jag, remember, doesn't want to cannibalise sales from sister firm Land Rover, so the C-X17 will be pitched as crossover rather than traditional 4x4.
Jaguar shall breathlessly tear the covers from the C-X17 on September 9: make sure you check back to TopGear.com for all the juicy details then. But for now, does the concept of a Jag crossover float your boat? How about one packed with that firecracking 542bhp supercharged V8?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- What’s your favourite Vision GT car?
- Gamers of the world, unite. Here are the maddest, baddest concepts from Gran Turismo 6
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- Wallpapers: the new Focus RS
- Decorate your desktop with TG's glorious shots of the 320bhp-plus, 4WD B-road supercar slayer